The members of the Board of the Further Education Corporation of Gateway Sixth Form College are as follows:
Mr J Kirk - Chair of Governors
Mr S Holderness - Vice Chair
Mr J Bagley (Principal)
Mr S Lodhi (Staff)
Ms P Hamer (Staff)
Ms S Gohil (Student)
Ms S Varghese (Student)
Ms N Cuffy
Mr H Hadani
Ms J Rossa
Mr N Smith
Mr H Solanki
Mr C Gray
Governing Body Of The College
The governing body of the College is the Further Education Corporation of Gateway Sixth Form College, as established under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. The governing body currently has an establishment of 16 members, made up as follows:
• 10 members from outside the college elected by reason of their experience, skills and contacts
• the Principal
• two members elected from the student body
• two members of staff, one elected from teaching staff and the other from corporate services
• one member elected from the parents/guardians of students.
The governing body elects a Chair and a Vice-Chair to provide leadership. The governing body has the support of an independent Clerk to organise business, provide advice and record discussion.
The responsibilities of the governing body are defined under Article 3(1) of the College’s Articles of Governance as:
(a) the determination of the educational character and mission of the institution and for oversight of its activities;
(b) effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets;
(c) approving annual estimates of income and expenditure;
(d) the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts; and
(e) setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
“Senior Posts” means the posts of the Principal, the Clerk and such other senior posts as the members may determine for the purposes of the Articles.
It is also for governing body to provide constructive challenge to senior staff, ensure that risks are effectively managed and to make a positive impact.
The governing body has established the following committees to undertake detailed scrutiny of specified areas:
• Audit Committee: dealings with internal and external auditors, scrutiny of the College’s arrangements for risk management and the framework of control
• Finance, Staffing & General Purposes Committee: scrutiny of performance in areas other than those relating to curriculum and quality
• Search & Remuneration Committee: recruitment, induction, deployment, development, performance and discipline of governors and Senior Post-Holders, and quality of governance
• Standards & Quality Committee: scrutiny of curriculum and quality areas. This Committee has powers to set up a Performance Improvement Group to work with staff in any areas of especial concern
• Student Affairs Committee: learner voice.
A Special (or Appeals) Committee is convened when necessary to hear appeals against decisions of the Principal.
These Committees are also serviced by the Clerk.
Please click on the links below to view the PDF files
Finance, Staffing and General Purposes Committee
Standards and Quality Committee
Student Affairs Committee